There’s nothing as refreshing as a cool glass of Homemade Lemonade on a hot summer’s day. With summer showing no signs of waning, having a batch of Lemonade Cordial at hand means you can whip up a tray of cool drinks in a flash.
This recipe was passed on to me by my friend Dani Venn a few summers ago, you can make it up with plain or sparkling water. Freeze the diluted mixture in icy-pole moulds to make a cool treat for the kids.
The lemon syrup also tastes fantastic in cocktails and mixed drinks, just add a shot of vodka and soda and you’ve got yourself a ‘hard lemonade’.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ½ cup lemon zest
- Lemon slices and Ice (to serve)
- Still or sparkling water (to serve)
- To make lemon syrup
- Add sugar and water to a medium sized saucepan and stir on high heat until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and zest.
- Pour into a sterilised jar or bottle and refrigerate until required
- To make Lemonade
- Add 1 part lemon syrup to 3 parts still or sparking water in a tall glass or jug and serve with ice and lemon slices.