I do enjoy a good bit of gingerbread at Christmas time. I always imagined it to be difficult to make, so I’ve never really tried baking it myself until now. Recently stumbled onto a very simple recipe that called for just six ingredients, all of which I conveniently had on hand already. I was sure the recipe was missing something, how could it be so simple? But my gingerbread turned out great. With no egg included, this Gingerbread Recipe is egg-allergy friendly!
I couldn’t resist making little gingerbread men, and because I’m lazy I’ve left them undecorated, except for a few buttons that I added pre-baking.
These would make great gifts packaged up in cellophane with a little bow. Dip them in dark chocolate to make them extra decadent.
The original recipe called for just ground ginger, but I’ve also added sweet mixed spice which also has cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Use whatever sweet spice mixture you have available. Make sure the butter is at room temperature (softened) and you won’t even need an electric mixer. I just threw everything into a bowl and mixed it by hand.
The dark colour comes from the muscovado sugar and golden syrup, if you use regular soft brown sugar you may get a lighter gingerbread.
- 125g unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup soft brown sugar or muscovado sugar
- ⅔ cup golden syrup
- 2½ cups plain flour (and extra for rolling)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger and/or sweet mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat over to 160C (320F)
- In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, golden syrup, spices and bicarb.
- Mix well
- Sift in flour slowly and mix until just combined
- Take out of bowl and knead on a floured surface. if dough is to soft (sometimes moisture content in brown sugars vary) add a little more flour (or refrigerate).
- Roll out dough to 5mm thickness and cut with shaped cutter.
- Add button markings with a skewer if desired.
- Bake in batches for around 8 minutes on a cookie tray lined with baking paper.
- Cool on a wire rack and decorate if desired.
Baking times may vary depending on cutter size used and your oven.