I’m partnering up with NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto this month to show you how you can upgrade your mornings.
Since receiving my new NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Esperta Coffee Machine, we’ve been skipping our regular weekend cafe breakfast outings and enjoying more cafe style coffee at home.
I’ve become quite partial to a nice flat white. It’s so easy to make, with everything you need to make a great coffee right in the capsule. No fussy milk frothing required.
Because we can now enjoy cafe style coffee at home, I thought I’d upgrade my breakfast too, with this healthy, delicious, and very easy to make Quinoa Breakfast Bowl.
Breakfast bowls are full of delicious, healthy ingredients, and are a great way to start your day. They really take hardly any time to prepare, so you can enjoy a healthy breakfast even if you don’t have a lot of time to spare in the mornings.
My tasty recipe combines the nutty flavour of quinoa, crunchy greens, sweet juicy oven roasted tomatoes and creamy avocado and hummus. Beetroot and crumbled feta give the whole dish some zing. And of course it wouldn’t be a proper breakfast without an egg!
My strategy for a stress-free morning meal is to pre-prep the ingredients the day before. Then you can just effortlessly throw everything together while your NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto machine does all the hard work making you the perfect coffee.
I’ve cheated a little bit and used the pre-cooked quinoa that is available in a steaming pouch – most supermarkets stock it. But if you are very organised, go ahead and cook your quinoa ahead of time, it generally keeps for 3-5 days if stored properly in the fridge.
Quinoa is super nutritious, is high in protein and fibre, and has a low GI – all the good stuff. Add some tasty veg, a lovely soft boiled egg and top with crumbled feta and you have yourself a mighty fine breakfast bowl!
As well as using pre-cooked quinoa, I also roasted the tomatoes, and boiled a few eggs the night before. It saves time in the morning and you can pop any leftovers in a container for lunch later in the day.
Actually, there really is very little ‘cooking’ involved, it’s more like assembly actually.
If you prefer your eggs cooked a different way, feel free to poach, fry or scramble them.
I’ve topped my quinoa breakfast bowl some sesame seeds and a sprinkle of sumac to top off my breakfast bowl. Pumpkin or sunflower seeds would add a lovely bit of extra crunch too.
So what do you think? Have I inspired you to upgrade your mornings?
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 small cooked (baby) beetroot
- 1 heaped tbsp hummus
- 10g feta cheese
- pinch of sumac (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame or pumpkin seeds
- Salt & Pepper to season
- 2 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
1. Place tomatoes on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt. Place under a hot grill and roast until softened. Take care not to burn.
2. Boil egg for 6 minutes in a pan of simmering water. Place in cold water after 6 minutes to stop the cooking process. Peel and set aside.
3. In a bowl add 1 cup of cooked quinoa - heat in a microwave for 30 sec to warm up if desired.
4. Top with leafy greens, roasted tomatoes, quartered baby beetroot, avocado, hummus and boiled egg.
5. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and seeds. Add salt and pepper to season as well as sumac if desired.
- Tomatoes and boiled eggs can be pre-prepared up to a day in advance.
- Pre-cooked quinoa can be purchased in 'steam-and-go' pouches from most supermarkets. Follow packet directions for heating if required.
- A variety of seeds can be added for extra crunch including: pumpkin, sesame, sunflower.
- Sumac is a popular Middle Eastern spice with a tangy citrus flavour. Can be substituted with a squeeze of lemon juice if unavailable.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 827Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 639mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 19gSugar: 8gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate and is provided as a guide only.
Now the hardest part of your morning will be picking which NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto coffee variety to enjoy. Check out the full range at www.dolce-gusto.com.au
Exclusive offer for My Poppet Readers
Use my discount code, MYPOPPE99, to get started with your own NESCAFE Dolce Gusto machine.