Nothing tastes as good as a homemade sausage roll straight out of the oven. When the Mr suggested I pop over to the local bakery to pick up some sausage rolls for lunch, I whipped up a batch of my Super Easy Sausage Rolls instead, with just a few ingredients already sitting in my fridge.
There’s hardly any prep worked involved and not much clean up either. My secret trick is using ready made beef sausages instead of sausage mince which is full of fat and fillers. You can use any style of sausage you like, but for best results I like to use a gourmet variety. Choose the best quality sausages you can afford for tastiest results.
I always keep frozen puff pastry sheets in my freezer because they are so versatile, everything tastes better wrapped in pastry.
Emma couldn’t resist helping me with assembling these easy to make sausage rolls, and this recipe is simple enough for older kids to make on their own.
How to make Homemade Sausage Rolls
- 6 good quality beef sausages
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 220c (200c fan forced) 430/390f
- Beat egg and mustard together
- Cut each sheet of pastry in half and brush egg mixture onto one side of each pastry rectangle
- Split sausage casing and lay filling onto pastry lengthwise, One and a half sausages per rectangle
- Fold over and seal edges. Crimp with fork and trim excess pastry
- Cut each long roll into 3 and coat with egg wash
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired
- Bake for 15-20 min or until pastry is suitably golden