One of my favourite dishes to eat as a kids growing up was Stuffed Capsicums. My mum always made them when red capsicums were in season and going cheap at the market. We’d choose the big fat stocky ones with flat bottoms and plenty of room for stuffing. The fillings would vary with whatever ingredients were on hand, but they always contained rice and were baked in a bath of tomato-ey sauce that was perfect for mopping up with big chunks of crusty bread.
This is such a simple and adaptable recipe that can easily be adjusted to suit your family’s taste. I’ve added some zucchini to increase the veggie component, but you can add whichever veg tickles your fancy. Similarly the veal and pork mince can be subbed out with beef or chicken, and if you are vegetarian, just replace the meat with cooked lentils.
The entire recipe contains 10 ingredients and takes just 15 minutes to prepare – after that, it’s your oven doing all of the hard work!
My cheeky shortcut to cut down on preparation time and make this an easy weeknight meal, is to use the handy SunRice Steamed Rice pouches. You can add the rice to the stuffing mixture straight from the pack without microwaving and it will steam with the moisture of the zucchini and be perfectly tender. Leftover cooked rice can also be used if you prefer.
Just one tip: make sure you really season the mixture well to avoid a bland stuffing. Next time I may add some crumbled fetta. Yum!
- 250g Sunrice Long Grain White Rice in 90 seconds or 3 cups cooked rice
- 4 red capsicums with flat bottoms
- 500g mixed veal and pork mince
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 cup tomato passata or favourite pasta sauce
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 heaped tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Pre heat oven to 180C
- Cut top off capsicums and remove seeds and pith. Set aside
- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until softened, add mince and fry off until just brown.
- Add oregano and paprika, sauté for another minute. Season very well with salt and pepper.
- Take off heat, add grated zucchini and contents of Sunrice Rice pouch (no need to microwave), combine and add a ⅓ of the tomato passata to moisten.
- Place capsicums in an oven proof pot with well fitting lid - a dutch oven is ideal. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray covered with a double layer of foil. Fill with rice mixture and replace tops.
- Pour passata and stock around capsicums, bake with lid on for around 1hr or until capsicums are soft. Remove lid for last 10min of baking to thicken sauce and brown tops.
- Serve with sauce ladled over filling, a drizzle of olive oil and crusty bread on the side.
PIN FOR LATER