Mention Chinese Chicken & Corn soup to anyone growing up in the 80s and they may have flashbacks of gluggy cornflour thickened soup that may or may not have looked like slime.
Rest assured, this is not that soup. More like a broth, this soup is warming, light but hearty at the same time. I made some last week because I was feeling chilly, and because it was so tasty I had the leftovers for breakfast the next day.
The recipe is based on a soup my mum made a few years ago, but try as I may I can not get the depth of flavour she makes just with chicken and veg (she cooks soup for hours), I’ve cheated and included pre-made chicken stock to save time.
Emma commented that the cooking aromas reminded here of Hainanese chicken and rice, that would be the garlic and ginger.
Also, I’ve realised that photographing soup has got to be one of the toughest food photography challenges there is. So much glare! The one thing I can guarantee this soup tastes better than it looks, and it was easier to make than photograph. Lol
- 1 small chicken (portioned)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed/squashed
- 4cm fresh ginger root (walnut size) grated
- 1L chicken stock
- 1L Water
- 2 corn cobs kernels removed
- vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (plus extra to season/balance)
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves to serve
- fried shallots to serve
- In a large pot, brown chicken pieces in a few tbsp vegetable oil
- Add garlic and ginger, fry for 1min to release aroma
- Add water and stock, simmer for up to 1hr until chicken meat falls off bone. Skim scum as it rises to top of broth.
- When chicken is done, remove and set aside.
- Add corn kernels and soy, simmer until tender.
- Taste for seasoning, add extra soy sauce if required.
- Pick meat from chicken and back into soup.
- To serve, in each bowl add a handful of baby spinach leaves, and add soup. Top with coriander and fried shallots to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 763mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Nutritional information is an estimate only and may vary depending on ingredients used.