If you are looking for a quick and easy to prepare meal that the whole family will love look no further than my tasty Coconut Chicken Strips.
It’s my elevated version of the ubiquitous chicken nugget with the added bonus that there is no messy frying involved. The kids will love them, and with the addition of a spicy dipping sauce, grown-ups will love them too.
The shredded coconut coating was quite a serendipitous accident. I’d actually run out of regular breadcrumbs as I was preparing the chicken strips, so I had to dig around in the panty for an alternative coating. The shredded coconut worked really well and I’ll be adding it to more of my crumbing mixtures from now on.
Because this recipe is oven baked, it’s a much healthier option to fried nuggets or schnitzels. Also I avoid frying wherever possible as it leaves the kitchen in such a mess. All those oil splatters!
Get the kids to help with crumbing the strips, I just pop everything in a big zip-loc bag or container and give it a really good shake.
They make a great nibbles for a casual party with drinks, and also taste great cold, which means they work in lunch boxes too (just remember to keep them chilled).
For a light lunch, serve with a side salad. Veggies and a baked potato would make a great accompaniment for dinner.
I’ve added just a tablespoon of sriracha chill sauce to the mayo, but feel free to add more or less according to your taste. I’m a bit addicted to sriracha at the moment, goes great with everything, but it’s an especially good contrast to the slightly sweet coconut.
- 1 Chicken Breast Sliced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup desiccated shredded coconut
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaves
- Olive oil spray
- salt & pepper to season
- ½ cup egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha chili sauce (or to taste)
- Salad to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a bowl or ziploc bag, mix together breadcrumbs, coconut, herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Crumb chicken strips by first coating in beaten egg wash then covering with coconut mixture.
- Lay out crumbed chicken pieces on a non-stick backing tray and spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 10-15 min or until chicken is cooked through and coconut coating is slightly toasted.
- Make dipping sauce by mixing Mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl.
- Serve with salad.