I was feeling pretty poorly last week so I thought a big bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup would be just the trick to nourish me and put some pep back in my step. In fact studies have been done that show Chicken Soup to be more effective than placebo in reducing symptoms of a cold.
The only catch was because I was feeling unwell I didn’t really want to slave over a stove all day. Cue the slow cooker, a marvelous invention for the busy (or lazy) cook.
I’ve used boneless chicken thigh fillets so there are no bones to fish out of the soup before serving. If you don’t have homemade chicken stock on hand don’t worry, I’ve just used a pre-made variety.
I love just throwing everything in the slow cooker and forgetting about it. Just prep your ingredients in the morning, go about your day and then you have dinner ready as soon as you walk in the door.
This recipe makes a big batch that will feed a hungry family, leftovers freeze well.
- 500g chicken thigh fillet (skinless and boneless)
- 1L chicken stock
- 1L boiling water
- 2 nests of egg vermicelli noodles(80g)
- 3 large carrots (peeled & roughly chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (finely sliced)
- 1 large onion (medium dice)
- salt & pepper to season
- All all ingredients except noodles and salt & pepper to slow cooker
- Set slow cooker to low and leave to simmer for 6-8 hours
- 15 min before serving add broken noodles to pot and set slow cooker to High
- Just before serving shred chicken thighs with forks. They should fall apart easily.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
Make a big batch and freeze left overs in individual portions for a quick meal
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information is an estimate only and may vary depending on ingredients used.
This delicious chicken soup was just what the doctor ordered.