Have you ever tried sprinkling salt on a slice of watermelon? No, well you should, it tastes amazing! Combining fruit with something salty is not a novel idea; cantaloupe wrapped with prosciutto was always a special Christmas entree dish when we were kids, so I quite liked the idea of trying a similar flavour combination with watermelon instead.
This salad is refreshing on a hot Summer’s day and has the perfect balance of sweet/salty from the watermelon and feta combination, and creamy/zesty from the feta, pomegranate and mint.
As salads go, this has got to be one of the easiest Summer dishes to prepare, don’t get too hung up on exact quantities, just throw everything together and enjoy. Works as a light meal on it’s own, or as a side dish it goes well with grilled fish or chicken.
- 1kg Seedless Watermelon
- 100g crumbly feta cheese
- Seeds from ½ a pomegranate
- ½ cup mint leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cut watermelon into 1.5cm cubes and arrange on a platter or individual plates
- Top with crumbled feta, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves.
- In a jar combine the lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning then shake well.
- Just before serving, lightly drizzle the salad with dressing.
PIN FOR LATER