I did a little bit of baking last week, just a few things for Emma’s lunchbox that would freeze well and save me in a tight squeeze.
As well as some individual banana cakes, I made some savoury Polenta, Coriander and Corn Muffins that can occasionally replace her favourite vegemite sandwich.
The inclusion of polenta makes them a filling snack, and even though it does make them crumblier than a muffin made with finer ground corn meal (or just regular flour), the slightly crunchy texture is very pleasant.
If you don’t like coriander (cilantro), just replace it with the equivalent amount of parsley or chives.
These taste really good straight out of the oven, and I probably ate about three before any pictures were taken! With a good smear of butter, even better.
They freeze well and for best flavour, blast them in the microwave for 20 seconds for that fresh baked taste.
- 160g Butter (melted)
- 1 cup Self Raising flour
- 3/4 cup fine Polenta (or fine cornmeal)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped (optional)
- 1 cup well drained corn kernels
- 2 tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
- Line a regular 12 hole cupcake/muffin tin with paper liners
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, milk and coriander.
- In a large bowl combine all other ingredients except for seeds.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add liquid to well, stir until just combined.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cases and sprinkle seeds on top (optional)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack - or just eat them straight out of the oven.
These muffins are quite crumbly due to the lower gluten content as cornmeal replaces some of the wheat flour. The coarser the polenta (cornmeal) the more they will crumble.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 2.1gSaturated Fat: 0.6gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 21.4gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 5.2gProtein: 3.7g