If you grew up in the 80’s & 90’s you’ll remember the delicious and sugar loaded popcorn snack Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs. It was essentially popcorn covered in toffee and peanuts, I don’t think they make them anymore which is a shame because they were pretty good.
A while ago I was experimenting in the kitchen making some Salted Caramel Popcorn, and to my surprise the result was an almost exact version of Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs, but without peanuts! Great news for those of you that want a little retro snack to take you back to your youth, or if you can’t eat peanuts but want a tasty treat on movie nights.
The bonus of making this Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs recipe yourself is that you can control how sweet you want to make your popcorn. My trick to adjusting the sweetness level without messing about with the toffee recipe is rather easy – adjust the amount of popcorn.
If you want extra crunchy caramel coated popcorn add less popcorn to the mix. Cutting back on your sugar intake? Add in more popcorn. (This has the added advantage that you can save some for later). It will keep crispy if you store it in an airtight moisture free container.
You can pop the popcorn in a pan with a tiny bit of oil, but I’m a little bit lazy and do mine in the microwave using the method below.
Often popping corn doesn’t really pop that well if it’s been sitting in the pantry for a long time, so make sure the kernels are fresh for best results.
Easy Microwave Popcorn Instructions
Makes approximately 6-8 cups
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 brown paper lunch bags
- In a bowl mix together the un-popped kernels and oil.
- Pour half of the coated corn into each brown paper bag.
- Fold the top of the bag over twice to seal in the kernels.
- MICROWAVE each bag separately. Stand the bag upright on the carousel and cook at full power for 2 minutes to 2½ minutes, or until you hear pauses of about 2 seconds between pops.
- Carefully open bag as steam may escape. Pop into bowl and repeat with 2nd bag.
The microwave popcorn you can purchase in ready to microwave bags usually has a butter flavour ingredient included, best to avoid those. Instead seek out raw microwave popcorn which is free from added oils, fats and salts.
Here is my super special, totally, improvised but tastes amazing, Salted Caramel Popcorn Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs Recipe, to munch on while you are watching your fave TV program. You’re welcome!
Enjoy your Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs in moderation or your dentist will get cranky!
Also how adorable are these little Melamine cups. They are from Danish homewares brand RICE. We’ve had ours for years and use them for parties instead of disposable cups. You can buy similar ones here (affiliate link).
Looking for more Nut-Free treats? Try these:
- 8 cups of popped pop corn (about 1/2 cup un-popped kernels)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 heaped tbsp butter
- 2 large pinches salt
- Pop corn as per directions on pack or with your favourite method. Set aside in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan combine remaining ingredients and simmer gently until it becomes syrupy and changes to a golden brown colour.
- Take care not to burn - BE CAREFUL HOT!
- In a large bowl or baking tray, stir the caramel mixture immediately through the popcorn and spread on a tray to cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 cups Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 5.8gSaturated Fat: 1.4gSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 17.5gFiber: 0.9gSugar: 12.6gProtein: 0.8g