If you are like me, you can never have enough storage for bits and bobs. But why have boring old round baskets when you can have cute heart shaped baskets to brighten up your space. These little crochet baskets work up quickly with Zpagetti yarn and make a great gift for yourself or a special friend. Fill them with sweet treats for Valentine’s Day and then keep the basket as an attractive and practical storage solution.
This pattern is suited to an advanced beginner or intermediate crocheter
You will need:
Zpagetti Yarn in pink and/or red (if you can’t get hold of zpagetti, try with very thick yarn, thin rope or chunky twine)
12mm Bamboo hook
stitch marker (optional)
Crochet Heart Pattern
US terminology (for UK terminology conversion please refer to this chart)
I’ve linked to instructions for every stitch as a reference.
Chain stitch – ch
slip stitch – sl
double crochet – dc
treble crochet – tr
single crochet – sc
These pictures may also help you
Here is how to do a single crochet stitch in both step by step and video form.
1. Here is the place you will insert the hook.
2. Insert the hook in the next stitch.
3. Pull through your yarn (also called yarn over)
4. You should have 2 loops on your hook now.
5. Yarn over again
6. Pull through both loops and your are done.
Watch the video to see how it all works (I was holding the camera with my chin so please forgive any blurry bits)
1. Yarn Over (wrap yarn around the hook).
3. Insert hook into stitch and yarn over again
4. You should have 3 loops on your hook now.
5. Yarn over again and pull yarn through 2 loops, you should now have 2 loops.
6. Yarn over and pull through both loops and your are done.
Start by making the base heart shape, I’ve used this pattern designed by Andee Graves.
It’s a copyright so I can’t republish it here, but I like that Andee has included both the written pattern and a chart which really helps clarify the shape.
Because Zpagetti yarn is super chunky not all patterns will translate well. I actually tried about 9 or 10 heart patterns and found that this one worked the best with the zpagetti yarn.
I won’t republish the pattern here but have taken some photos of the important stages to help you out if you are inexperienced at reading patterns.
1. Work all your dc stitches into here – last stitch of chain.
2. The stitch will get really big, you can tighten it later.
3. To finish first round, slip stitch into here.
4. First round done.
5. Treble stitches all go here.
Hint: Treble Crochet is similar to double crochet but yarn over twice in the first step.
6. You have the first bump on your heart.
7. Work your dc to create half your heart.
8. Chain one here.
Making the tip of the heart.
I found this bit a bit tricky, I hope it’s clear with the photos.
A. Before chain one.
B. Chain one then insert hook here.
C. Slip stitch and pull yarn through
D. You have the little point on your heart
9. Continue making the other half of the heart shape
10. To close heart shape slip stitch into here.
11. Your base is complete.
12. Chain one then sc (single crochet into every stitch) to start building up sides of basket.
Top tip: Make different shaped baskets by using different shaped bases. Square, round, oval or hexi all work great, just sc with no increases and the wall of your baskets will start to build up.
To make the sides of this basket you will need 3 rounds of sc. Any more and you start to lose the heart shape.
13 & 14. This is the first round of sc, see how the sides are starting to curve up.
15. After 3 rounds of sc.
16. Slip stitch and weave in end.
These are really fun to make and don’t use much yarn, you can make several baskets with one cone of zpagetti.
What will you store in your sweet heart baskets?
If you liked these baskets, you may enjoy making a set of Crochet Nesting Baskets
Want to learn more? Take an online crochet class…