DIY Crochet Market Bag Pattern

DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
Our very talented crochet contributor Michelle has come back from a relaxing holiday and has created a new crochet bag pattern exclusively for My Poppet. I love this modern take on the old fashioned string bag, it looks great and is super practical too.
Over to Michelle…

It’s Michelle here with a tutorial for a crochet Market Bag. Pop it in your handbag on your next trip to the shops, it’s roomy enough to carry your groceries home and the solid base will stop your carrots falling out the bottom.

DIY crochet net bag pattern supplies mypoppet.com.au

• 2.5 balls kitchen string for the bag body
• 1 x 50g ball 8ply/DK cotton in contrast colour for the base and handles
• 4.5 mm hook
• Open Stitch marker

US Terms Used Abbreviations:

st: stitch
sl st: slip stitch
sk: skip
ch: chain
sc: single crochet (UK double crochet)
blo: back loop only
dc: double crochet (UK treble)

Base:
Using your contrast colour, chain 41
Row 1: sc into 2nd chain from hook, sc 39, ch 1, turn
Rows2–10: sc 40, ch 1, turn. Stop at the last sc on the last row and don’t ch 1 or turn.

Now we are going to stitch around all sides of the base to prepare forming the sides of the bag base
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
o Without turning, sc back into same space as last stitch worked.
o Working along the left side of the base, sc 7 (into each row space), 2 sc into last space.
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
o sc 39 along bottom of foundation chain, 2 sc into last st
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
o sc 9 back up along the right hand side of the base (100 sts)

We’ll be working in the round from here
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
o Placing a marker into first stitch, sc into back loop only (blo) to end. Continue this way for another 12 rows
o Join with a sl st. Break off yarn

Bag Body:
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
Row 1: Join in string yarn and ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch 1), sk 1 st, *dc 1, ch 1, sk 1. Repeat from * to end. Sl st into top of first ch 3.
Row 2: Sl st into next ch space of previous row. Ch 4, * dc into next ch space, ch 1 Repeat from * to end
Rows 3 – 20: Work as for Row 2
Row 21: Placing a marker into first st, sc into each ch sp and stitch from previous row. Join with a sl st.
Rows 22–25:Ch 1, sc in blo to end. In final row, join with a sl st into first sc. Break off yarn.
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
Strap
Lay your bag out flat and determine bag sides, place a marker in the side stitches. Count 2 stitches back from side stitch, join in yarn, * sc 5, ch 1, turn. Repeat from * until strap is long enough. I’ve made mine 100 rows (aprox. 59 cm) but you can adjust to your preferred length.
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
Making sure you don’t twist your strap, line it up on the other side of the bag and with right sides facing together, sl st strap to bag. Weave in ends and you’re done.
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au
Optional: I’ve sc along the sides of my strap to neaten them up and also make them less likely to stretch but you can skip this step if you prefer.
DIY crochet net bag pattern mypoppet.com.au

I hope you’ve enjoyed making this project. If you have any questions or would like to share your work, pop into my Ravelry group. I’d love to hear from you.

Michelle poppy and BlissAbout Michelle Robinson
Michelle is the face behind Poppy & Bliss. Her passion is crochet and her style is modern, vibrant and fun.
She teaches workshops in various styles of crochet, designs modern crochet patterns, occasionally remembers she has a blog at Poppy & Bliss but shares most of her work on Instagram

• Elyse says:

I love this! It might just be the incentive I need to finally teach myself how to crochet. 🙂

• Ice Pandora says:

This looks good and simple to make!
    I have this pattern bookmarked!
    Xx

• Lisa says:

I really like this pattern. I have been looking for one like this. I used to make round ones, but the bottom would always turn out too small and everything would still fall out.
    Once I start my summer crochet again I’ll try this one!

• Tara says:

what is kitchen string?

• Barbara Post says:

How many chain spaces are there supposed to be starting row 3?

• Helen says:

Hi there. Thanks for sharing your pattern. Did you use kitchen string or a cream yarn for the handles? Thanks

• Hello! I am from Brazil and trying to figure out how to do it.. I am learning to crochet for the past days, so in English is a little more complicated for me!

When you start to work in the round shape, do you blend the two opposite sides just like I do when I am going to start to do a round crochet from the beginning?

Thank you very much!

• Alex says:

I just finished the bag myself. It is my official second crochet project ever so it looks a bit wonky. I like it though. My problem is that the strap seems that it will break at the base when the bag has a few items in it. I’m thinking maybe I need to reinforce the part where the strap meets the bag? Or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks

• Go you! Practice makes perfect, you should see some of my early crochet, it was far from perfect. Yes you may need to reinforce the straps, just use the same yarn and weave in (or sew) a few extra stitches to make the join stronger.
      In future make the tension where the straps join a little tighter, that should help that problem.

• Tracy K Biel says:

The kitchen string?? Purchased in the craft store in the yarn department? Thanks! I’m super excited to try this.

• Hi, Cintia. I’m now crocheting this market bag, and this is a very fun pattern to work with. Thanks a lot for posting this pattern. ^_^ I have question for you, since in my country here now we have a new established policy to reduce the use of plastic bag, may I repost this pattern in Indonesian language in my blog with a link to the original pattern in your site? Thank you again. ^_^

• Brigitte says:

Oh my goodness! I love the look of this bag. Now it’s about finding the time to make it …

• Samantha says:

Hi! Approximately how many feet of kitchen string is there in one of your balls? I’m trying to buy some online and it says it’s about 220 feet for this particular one that I have found.

• Clare says:

If I’m trying to use up my stash of Sugar n Cream, and not buy kitchen twine, how much do I need? I’m trying to plot out colors.
    Thanks.

• Maxine says:

I thought my base looked fine as wasn’t finished it all yet when I posted before but realized I don’t understand how the sides of the base are formed. I appreciate any help to figure this out. Thank you.
    Maxine

• Maxine says:

Thank you so much for your reply. Where are the increases in the pattern ? Is it when you start on the bag itself ?

• sorry I meant, once you start working in the round, the sides will build up by themselves,
      So you have made the rectangle base, and now just start crocheting around and around the rectangle and the sides will grow up.

• Maxine Jepsen says:

I would like to know when doing the netting part on row 3 after chaining 4 do you dc into the space that you did the slip stitch into or the next space ? Sorry for all my questions . But I do like your pattern. Thank you.

• Maxine Jepsen says:

Thank you very much for your replies. I’m still stuck on the beginning of the rows after first row is done. That works out fine but then I’m not sure where 1st dc goes into after chain 4 . You said to sc into next chain space but I’m unsure if you mean to the space on the left to chain 4 or next one over.

• Jane says:

Love this bag! Thank you for sharing pattern.

• Suzanne says:

Fabulous pattern … Onto my second one now using the same colors as Michelle did. Love it ! Thanks so much !

• Katie says:

Is it always 7 SC and 2 SC in same stitch, on one side followed by 39 SC and 2 SC in same stitch, and then 9 SC? In other words, am I aways doing 7 SC and 2 SC in same stitch on the left end and 9 SC on the right end? Thanks!

• The 7+2 and then the 9 is just to square off the base (to make a rectangle), after that you are working in the round – so you just do a sc (single crochet) around and around with no increases (only one into every stitch). This will build up the sides.
      Do that for 12 rows (or as many as you need) to make the blue base.
      Hope that helps

• Katie says:

Do you always do 7 SC on left end and 9 SC on right end?

• Deb says:

Just finishing my first of what will be many bags. I used a solid for the bottom and a variegated for rhe mesh which worked up to be a spiral pattern and finished off with a border and handle in white. Lovely pattern! My question is “when/ how to do the sc on the sides of the handle? After attaching to the other side?” Please explain. Thanks in advance.

• Hi Deb, The sc can be added to reinforce the handle (so it limits stretching) – You can add this once all the handles are attached.
      I’d probably sugggest – add your handles (both sides attached, then do an extra round of sc all around the bag and on the outside of both handles, then break off yarn and sc on the inside loop of each handle. Does that make sense?