Decorate some plain cardboard gift boxes with hand painted illustrations of adorable kitty cat faces! The Purr-fect gift for any cat lover!
If you’re a lover of cute cats (I mean who isn’t), this quick and easy gift box craft project is a must make.
Instead of wrapping your next gift in paper that just gets thrown away, why not upgrade to one of these adorable cat gift boxes? I can guarantee your giftee will enjoy the packaging just as much as the gift inside.
Make a whole set. They are so purr-ty, and purr-fect for storing all sorts of bits and pieces in like hair clips, and jewelry.
I always have several of these round craft papier mache gift boxes on hand for storing small items, using to package fragile or special gifts, and because they are super fun to decorate.
Available in lots of shapes and sizes, they are truly handy to keep in your craft stash.
Emma used a heart shaped one here to make these cute conversation heart gift boxes. An I made some animal gift boxes which are featured on the cover of my first craft book – Make in a Day: Crafts for Kids
I’ve hand drawn these cat face illustrations exclusively for this project. The inspiration came after scrolling through photo after photo of the cutest cats. Cat photos seem to be essential for getting though the days lately.
The artwork turned out so cute that I’m thinking of making more craft projects featuring these cat illustrations. What do you think?
You may also enjoy:
How to make your own Hand Painted Cat Gift Boxes
Make just one, or all three of these cute hand painted cat face gift boxes.
I’ve included a printable template with the 3 cat faces which you can trace and easily paint. No special craft supplies required.
Even if you don’t consider yourself much of an ‘artist’, these cat designs only require a few brushstrokes to achieve.
Don’t worry if you aren’t confident with a paint brush, try using a paint marker pen for the black lines instead.
I’ve used red carbon tracing paper to transfer my designs, but any carbon paper or tracing technique will work just fine.
You will need:
- Cat face template – Download and Print
- 3 x 3″ round craft papier mache gift boxes
- Acrylic paint in your choice of colors including Black and White
- Paint brushes, broad and fine
- 1 sheet Carbon tracing paper
- Paper plate or plastic container for paint palette
- Paper to protect your work surface
1. Paint the exterior of the gift boxes and lid with acrylic paint in the colours of your choice. I’ve chosen pastel pink, white and peach. They may need a couple of coats of paint for full coverage. Set aside to dry thoroughly.
2. Once the lids are dry, cut out the cat face templates from the printable sheet and prepare for tracing.
3. Position the carbon tracing paper coloured side down on top of the painted lid and place the cat design over it. Use a pencil to trace over the lines. Press firmly.
4. Check to make sure the design has fully transferred. Sketch in any missing sections lightly with a pencil.
5. Using a fine brush paint over the traced lines. Outline in black, add white highlights to eyes and ears. Use soft gentle brushstrokes for a painterly look.
6. Paint a small white highlight on eyes to make them pop! Use the images below as a painting guide.
When the paint is dry, replace the lid on the gift box and it’s ready to use.
Fill with treats, small trinkets, or use them to package up special gifts like jewelry. A little bit of shredded tissue paper makes the perfect packing material.
Do you know anyone that would love a kitty cat gift box?
LOVE IT? PIN IT!