Want to make goo-goo eyes at your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day, but really need to get some shut eye? I have the perfect solution, a Heart Eyes Emoji Sleep Mask.
Turns out the Heart eye emoji is the one I use the most, so I thought it would be fun to give a plain travel sleep mask a humorous makeover for Valentine’s day. If you aren’t feeling so amorous you could always make an ‘eye roll’ emoji sleep mask – LOL!
I’ve cheated a little and used a ready made mask, but if you are a good sewer, try making one from scratch – I’ve linked to a pattern in this post 6 Gifts to Sew for Travelers.
Cant sew? Don’t worry, fabric glue will do all the hard work for you, and I’ve included no-sew instructions to make this project super easy to make.
How to make a Heart Eyes Emoji Sleep Mask
You will need:
- Fabric Eye Mask (I used one from an airline comfort pack)
- Yellow felt
- Red felt
- Paper and pencil
- Matching sewing thread and sewing machine OR fabric glue
- General sewing supplies
1. Gather your supplies – You may have a sleep mask sitting in a travel bag or suitcase that you can use. This one came from an airline comfort pack that the Mr brought home from one of his work trips.
2. Trace the shape of your sleep mask onto a piece of paper to make a pattern template. Make it slightly bigger so you won’t see the edges of your mask underneath the new top layer.
3. Pin eye mask template onto yellow felt and cut out shape. I’ve used a double layer as my felt was thin and the dark mask colour was showing through.
4. Draw a heart shape onto your paper and cut out to use as your heart template. Cut out 2 red felt hearts.
5. If you are opting for the NO SEW method, go ahead and glue those hearts straight onto the yellow felt.
6. If you are sewing, like I have, use red thread and stitch around the heart close to the edge.
7. Either glue the top felt layer onto the sleep mask and leave to dry or pin it on ready for sewing.
8. Using yellow thread sew the yellow felt onto the eye mask, trim any edges that are overhanging excessively.
All done! That was super easy and only took about 15 minutes. What a fun gift to make for an emoji loving friend who doesn’t take themselves too seriously.
All this crafting has made me a little sleepy, time to take a little nap!
LOVE IT? PIN IT!