This is a sponsored post for 3M via Digital Parents Collective. As always, projects and opinions are my own.
Receiving a Christmas card in the mail these days is quite a treat, so why not display them beautifully on this colourful String Art Christmas Tree.
I’ve always loved the idea of string art, but making holes in my walls for a temporary project is not ideal. That’s where 3M Clear hooks are perfect, they stick to most surfaces, then come off cleanly. When the box arrived with the full range I couldn’t wait to get started. The Decorating Clips are small and unobtrusive, and were the perfect choice for this project.
You could also use this tree as an Advent Calender by pegging on 25 numbered envelopes, or if you have very limited space, just decorate as you would a normal tree and pop your presents under it on Christmas morning.
Read on for instructions and a chance to win one of 5 prize packs…
You will need:
- 2 packs 3M decorating clips (36 clips to be exact)
- coloured yarn or string
- ruler, pencil, dinner plate, protractor
- small pegs
- washi tape and pom poms, glue (optional)
- Gather your supplies, have a dig around your craft drawer to find cute bits and pieces that will decorate your pegs and finished tree.
- Mark the desired position of the 3M clips on the wall with a pencil. I have spaced my clips 10cm apart. 8 clips across the bottom (70cm) and 11 up the side (100cm). For the star at the top, a dinner plate is an ideal size. Mark nine evenly spaced positions to make each point of the star. It’s easier if you use a protractor – angle if 40 degrees from the center.
- Following the directions on pack, stick each clip over your marks with the open part of the hook facing out.
- Leave to set for the recommended time of about 30min
- Now the fun part. String your yarn in a criss cross fashion between the hooks making sure you don’t miss any.
- Follow my cute animation to make the star.
- Decorate your pegs if desired
- Then it’s time to have fun and decorate your tree. Get the kids to clip on Christmas cards from family and friends.
Once Christmas is done and dusted, you can easily remove your work of art without a trace. The 3M hooks are unobtrusive and come off cleanly, so they are ideal for hanging decorations wherever you please without nail holes. Here is another idea for decorating with the help of 3M hooks.
3M Clear Hooks are available in a range of sizes suitable for different weights – including the Mini, Small and Medium hooks as well as the Utensil and Decorating Clips priced from $6.99 (RRP). The range can be purchased at all leading supermarkets and retail outlets across Australia.
If you’d like to win one of five 3M Prize Packs containing the entire Clear Hooks Range (Mini Hook, Small Hook, Medium hooks, Utensil Clips, Decorating Clip valued at $36.35 each) just leave a comment telling me what your best/funniest childhood memories of Christmas decorating.
Five Winners will be drawn based on my favourite answers on Monday November 26th at 8pm and winners will be notified via email. Open to Australian Readers Only.