What gifts do grandparents love more than anything? Photos of their grand kids of course!
They offered me the option of reviewing one of their canvas photo prints, but I thought the photo mugs were a great budget gift idea that would make a perfect gift for a grandparent, teacher present, or even a fun office Kris Kringle gift.
Mugs start at $8.50 excluding postage so they really are super affordable. They’ve given me a 10% off discount code for My Poppet readers – more details at end of this post.
Designing the Photo Mugs
I was a little bit pressed for time when I ordered the mugs, I wanted to get my order in before our trip to New Zealand so they would arrive in time for Christmas, so I used their photo layout designer to create my mug.
It was quite easy to upload my chosen images then drag and drop into the collage spaces.
If I had more time I would have created a design on Photoshop or Canva to add some extra elements or maybe some text.
Some Photo Mug Design Ideas:
- Photos of kids – for Grandparents, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day or Teacher gift
- Photos of pets – for Pet lovers
- Funny quotes or captions – for friends or co-workers
- Scanned kid’s artwork – for Grandparents, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day
- Favourite handwritten recipe – for friend or family member
- Silly photo of yourself – For co-worker Kris Kringle gift
- Photos from a favourite holiday or even – for yourself
- Company logo – corporate/business gift
I ordered the mugs on the 3rd of December and they arrived on the 21st with standard shipping. That’s nearly 3 weeks, so just keep that in mind when you are placing an order for a gift. The parcel was well wrapped and mugs arrived intact.
I didn’t actually receive an order confirmation email (or it got lost in the internet ether), so I wasn’t sure if my order had actually gone through until it arrived. I forgot to screen-shot the confirmation number so I had no way to chase up my order.
How did the Canvas Champ photo mugs turn out?
The mugs are a sturdy design and a comfortable size. The image print is vibrant, but came out a little darker than the original image.
I didn’t care for the black border around each image, and an option to remove it would have been good, (if there was one, I couldn’t find it). The sample mugs on the Canvas Champ website don’t have black borders around the images on the mugs.
I also noticed the images are slightly stretched out. It isn’t very obvious but I think the curved surface of the mug distorts the faces slightly to make them look wider.
In terms of print quality, the photos turned out reasonably clear. I think choosing sharp, hi-res, and high contrast images are important to obtain a good result.
The photo print is shiny and looks like part of the mug (rather than a sticker attached onto the mug).
The site states they are dishwasher and microwave safe.
Tips for choosing the best images to go on a Photo Mug:
- Make sure the image is clear and sharp.
- Upload a large hi-res image. Lo-res images may appear blurry or pixellated.
- Bright, vibrant and hi-contrast images will print better than images without clear definition.
- Edit images for brightness and contrast before loading on to Canvas Champ site.
- The images print slightly darker than on-screen so make them lighter/brighter when you edit them.
Canvas Champ Photo Mug Final Verdict
Overall I was pretty happy with the final product. My only gripe was the black border around the photos and not receiving an order confirmation email.
The photo mugs are affordably priced but the shipping starts at $14.99 which is more than the price of the mug, so it’s probably worth ordering multiple items at once to save on shipping costs.
- An affordable gift
- Fun to give and receive
- Vibrant photo printing
- Easy to design with Canvas Champ online tools
- GET a FREE 8″X8″ CANVAS PRINT on Your 1st Order when you sign up to the site
- Standard shipping can take up to 3 weeks
- Shipping is expensive if ordering just one small product
- Some of the font and clip art design options are limited
- Sample images on website don’t exactly reflect final product
In summary, these personalized photo mugs from Canvas Champ make a great gift for friends and family, but especially Grandparents.
Get 10% off site wide with the discount code – MY10SAVEThis post was sponsored by Canvas Champ in collaboration with Brand Meets Blog. All thoughts and opinions are my own.