Scrapbusting: Handmade Scrap Fabric Twine

handmade fabric twine diy included video tutorial
Here it is, by popular demand…How to make rope from scrap fabric. It’s an idea that came to me whilst I was in the process of tidying up my sewing space, I tend to keep all my fabric scraps ‘just in case’ and all those really long thin pieces were tangling together and making a big mess. After doing a bit of online research on rope making, I found this video showing how to hand twist rope from tree bark, so I’ve used the same technique with fabric and it works a treat.

I’ve made a video tutorial to go with the instructions.

Lots of scrap fabric strips in assorted lengths (max 1″ wide)
Scissors
Something to wind your twine on to – I’ve used Vintage wooden spools similar to these* but a piece of cardboard will do too.
Time and lots of it!
How to hand make bakers twine

-Gather all your fabric, you may need to cut some of it into strips, tearing is fine.
-Tie 2 strips together with a small knot to get started.
knotted rope
Tip: It’s easier to use one long strip and one short strip to avoid tangles.
Start twisting
Step 1: twist strip away from you
Step 2: pull that twisted strip over towards you
Repeat
how to make fabric rope with fabric scraps
Tip: The tighter you twist, the firmer your twine will be.
To Join strips
Joining is easy, just leave a tail of about 1″ and wrap the new strip around it.
fabric twine joining instructions
Keep twisting as usual.
twisting rope diy
The join will remain quite strong.
Tip: Make sure both your strips don’t finish at the same time or your join may be weakened.

I’ve made a video that clearly shows you how to twist the twine and join the strips.

It’s super addictive and sort of meditative, I made meters and meters of it. My hands did cramp up a bit, so make sure your take little breaks because the twisting action can also be a bit hard on the wrists.
cute fabric twine heart

Using fabric strips in contrasting colours really shows off the twists and sort of makes it look a little bit like baker’s twine. I’m sure you could find a million uses for it, I’ve made a project that I’ll share with you soon. I think it would look great tied around brown paper wrapped parcels.
close up of fabric rope
vintage rope spools
What will you do with your handmade twine?

JOIN THE MAILING LIST FOR THE BEST OF THE BLOG, EXCLUSIVE NEWS, GIVEAWAYS & THE LUCKY DRAW PROJECT

* indicates Etsy affiliate link

• Julie says:

This is a fabulous idea, I have so much scrap fabric around this place!
    It would probably be great for crocheting too!
    Thanks for the inspiration, Have a great day, Julie x

• cucicucicoo says:

That is absolutely gorgeous! I’m afraid I lack the patience to make it, though. I was also thinking that it would be fantastic on gift wrapping, but I bet you could loop various strands of it together to make a cool necklace or a belt, too. Thanks for the tute and I will pin it just in case I ever decide to spend some time twisting twine, perhaps while watching a movie! :) Lisa

• Madeleine says:

This is genius!! I’m looking forward to trying!

• Anne Newton says:

I made a melon basket by twining handmade fabric string. It is also used in basketry to make coiled and stitched baskets.
    The same technique may be used with bread bags (split down the sides and cut the resulting plastic rectangle into 2 strips) Also dampened dried plant fibres may be used in the same way (try corn husks or bulrushes.)
    Cut the ends of your join pieces on an angle to get a finer join.
    Join all the fun of the National Basketry Gathering in March 2015 to learn these and other basketry techniques.
    Cheers from Anne

• arlette says:

Hello! Nice nice!
    Can I knit this? What do you use them for?
    Thanks!

• Tracy says:

You’ve created a winner here! Looks terrific on the spool, just leave it like that and enjoy the visual feast!

• Zoe says:

I think I would coil it to make circular mats. You could get adventurous and try and make a bread basket or similar

Fab idea, thank you for sharing the know how x

• Andre Jones says:

I was wondering if a spinning wheel would work for the twisting part?

• Anna-Rosa says:

One of the best diys I’ve ever seen!! Can’t wait to try it :) and then make some jewelry!! Or a bag maybe…

• I love this idea. Want to see video.

• Julie says:

Love it! Can’t wait to try it!

• Savyon says:

Brilliant! I’m seeing coiled circular placemats for a cheery dinner or birthday celebration. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Terri Betz says:

This is the most fun craft! Thanks so much for the video!

• Elizabeth says:

This is so cool! I am sharing this on my FB page….what a great way to use scraps : )

• Wonderful! I’m going to put a bucket of scraps near my TV-watching chair. Thanks for sharing.

• laura says:

Be great for crocheting or knitting a rug or extra thick blanket :) ty for demo now Iknow what to do with this big tub of scraps :)

• Anne says:

I love this so much!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this evening that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

• Amy says:

A spinning wheel works just great for this project, but it will need a bulky head flyer and very large orafice.
    I actually made some “yarn” like this about 10 years ago, but never thought it could work for anything. Now I’m thinking I might use it to crochet a bath rug.
    A variable speed drill can also be used to twist, but it needs to be set at the LOWEST speed.

• Yes, I originally thought about a spinning wheel but don’t have one. It would make everything much faster. I’m keen to try spinning as I love working with roving.

• Kim says:

I use my Fiskars hand drill for twisting many materials. Available at Michael’s and Joanns Fabrics.
      Thanks for sharing, Cintia.

• I’m curious about the use of a drill … if you only twist a bit at a time, then wouldn’t a drill be more cumbersome than helpful? Or are you saying that you can twist the entire length of fabric and then twist the entire length of the other piece of fabric, and then do the twisting of the two lengths together???

Hoping you’ll see this and reply! :-)

• Joan says:

my OCD tendencies find this idea a breath of fresh air…I’m so glad that you thought of this and that you shared it with us…thanks…

• Kristen Rice says:

As a spinner, this tutorial was intriguing! I love it when principals from one craft can be morphed into a project that anyone can do, sans the specialty tools :)

• My first thought was to spin it, but I don’t have a spinning wheel. I did watch some spinning videos to look at ply technique.
      I’d love to give yarn spinning a try, I think I’d really enjoy it.

• Jenny says:

That is beautiful! What a great idea to use up all those fabric scraps.

• cynthia says:

Wow I love this idea!! My scrap drawer is overflowing so this is a great scrap buster, thank you for sharing!

• This is so gorgeous. I’m readying for a plane trip and will have some layover time. I think I’ll use this downtime to make some twine.
    I plan to couch it onto a skirt. So pretty!

• Trace says:

I suggest you work with damp/wet fabric as it is easier to twist and don’t tie a knot just start with the first piece folded over.

• You Tube video link shows an error message and won’t play. I went to YouTube and won’t play there either.

• DK says:

This is so beautiful. I’d love to buy some … any where I can?

• india flint says:

i have a dress in a museum collection in Australia, hand twined from silk scrap, dyed with plants. Nalda Searles, textile artist from West Australia taught me the technique. Elizabeth Wayland Barber writes beautifully about the importance of string in her book “Women’s Work, the first 20,000 years”

• sounds stunning. I would love to see a photo, do you have a link to a image? I think what I enjoyed most about the process was the feeling that it was part of a long tradition of the evolution of textiles, and also each fabric scrap has a history for me so it’s like a little memory rope.

• aurelia says:

Genial Do you sell It ?

• jet says:

Hi, hi
    i have made those years ago but why aren’t you using a spinning tool.
    or your drill of making a spinnning tool of just a cd and a stick.
    that is working much better and you haven’t the cramps in your fingers and hands.
    Okay, i have a big spinning wheel and as well those hand using tools because of my interest in historical methodes in crafting.
    I know that i saw in the 70th’s a woman using her kitchen mixer.LOL
    soooo smart and it worked.
    allthought… i have broken mine by using it to made fine paper mache pulp.
    I thought it was just a strong one, but looking after he was broken all the parts were made of plastic. so be careful what you will use.
    but the looks from your new made yarn is gorgeous, and very pretty. so mind is tellling me to start as well;-D
    thank you for the sharing and the tute. really like this;-D

• you could also use a navajo spindle much less expensive than a spinning wheel & u can make yarn too :)

• dana says:

There’s a contraption used to twist a dolls hair. Turn a crank and it twists both the individual material and the two together all at once. It’s plastic and probably not durable, but I am sure there are some models out there on Make, and YouTube, that are fairly easy to make yourself.
    Save time and hand cramps.
    Awesome idea!!

• Lizzie Mayne says:

This looks great, but the video won’t play either on your website or youtube. It only plays for a few moments then comes back with a playback error. I’m from the UK does that make a difference?

• Not sure why. I think it’s a you tube problem. Happened earlier today then it was fine. The help page says the issue will resolve in around 30min. I really don’t have control over the you tube side if things. Hope it resolves soon.

• anne says:

Thank you for sharing such a great idea for not throwing scrap material away.

• Kerstin says:

I will try!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    ♥ Kerstin

• denise says:

make a drop spindle, I mAde one from a you tube video for spinning paper strips, it works beautifully for this too.

• onel says:

What a great idea for all those fabric scraps! The scrap twine is so beautiful too!

• debbie says:

LOVE this! Your spools are so beautiful, and I really love the idea of using this fabric twine for embellishing clothing. Really makes me wish I hadn’t donated my huge fabric stash when I moved across the country a couple years ago.

• Fran says:

So. Many. Ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. I want to make a hundred things with this yarn and finally use up all my scraps at the same time. If I make any tutorials I’ll make sure I link back to you! You flippin genius!

• Bonnie says:

I am unable to stream this video….I even tried by going to U-tube but I can’t get beyond the first few seconds. Can you please help?

• Maize says:

A drill would twist this a lot faster. :) I used a drill to twist crepe paper into paper twine.

• Lisa says:

Using a spinning wheel would mean twisting each strand separatly, then using two bobbins-full to ply together – not nearly as satisfying, nor portable as this by-hand method.

I do like how beautifully it illustrates plying: taking two singles spun in one direction and plying in the opposite way provides a balanced yarn.

• Nesta says:

Beautiful idea! My daughter has a plastic game for twisting dolls/girls hair too, I’m going to try it out. It would be lovely to use this technique with Shantung silk to make special jewellery!

• Sally says:

This could also be used for rug weaving or crocheting.

• Chef Beth says:

I think you could weave or braid this into beautiful placemats!

• Debbie says:

Since the video doesn’t work for me right now, how do you keep the twisted strands from untwisting after you are done?

• deborah says:

Would make some interesting macramé!

• Sylvia says:

This looks absolutely gorgeous! I love it! I am definitely going to try making some strands with my fabric scraps. Thank you so much! I

• Ah, nice! Just saw a post from A Beautiful Mess about making your own rug out of scraps, and twisting it around some sort of rope. Guess this will work as well! Hmmm. I can see a new project emerging!

• Diane says:

I use leaves from my daylily plants after they have dried. I have to clean them out of my garden anyway and I always have a ball of twine to tie up other plants and vines. It lasts a long time even outdoors. It’s an ancient rope making technique. Good for you bringing it to the next generation.
    Diane

• Debbie says:

That is awesome! I am going to try this using my drop spindle!

• debbiem says:

My local quiltshop posted a link to your post on Facebook. How LOVELY! Thanks for sharing
    :c)

• janice says:

I have to try this with a wheel and then crochet the scrap twine into something. Oh the possibilities are endless.

• connie b says:

what a wonderful idea. of course I see it after I clean out my stash of small strips. Now I just have to start saving more.

• Lea says:

How very pretty. It could make good handles on a homemade gift bag, maybe a belt. Depending on how sturdy it is it would make a cute dog leash. Thank you for sharing this.

• Cheryl says:

I LOVE this idea and it made me remember something that I saw on TV many years ago on the Carol Duvall show. I don’t remember exactly what her project was but she used a drill to twist something. I’m thinking that you could possibly twist each individual strand with the drill in forward direction, then maybe twist 2 (or maybe even 3 or 4) strands together in the reverse direction! You ‘ve got my wheels turning…can;t wait to try it! Thanks for the fun idea and inspiration!

• Robin says:

Fabulous tutorial. Wish you sold the finished product in your shop!!

• Wendy says:

I have done a similar thing but have plaited three strips of fabric together – love the idea of putting it onto a spool

• Tammy says:

I’m thinking it would make for some really great filler in place of clothes line in those coiled fabric baskets. Fabric inside and out! Great tutorial. Thanks!

• Great tutorial Cinti! It’s such a simple technique with a great result. I learned it at the MCA last year as part of an exhibition of indigenous Australian weaving. They make string from plants and leaves in the same way then use it to make fishing nets, woven baskets, etc. Super strong!

• ANNE says:

For me, it’s a very good use for the scraps of my fabric boiled baskets (my speciality visible on my blog) and I think it’s a good wvay to finish a bowl with twine around….Thanks.
    But i am waiting for your ideas!!!!
    Regards from @nne, France
    My baskets are also on http://www.flickr.com/photos/artisanne_textile

• Liessa says:

I can’t wait to try this at summer camp – I’ll send you pics!

Thanks for a great idea!

• vonKarin says:

This is such a great way to use up scraps! The rope looks so amazing and, of course, is a very useful result, too. What I like as well: I can do it while sitting on the balcony and enjoying the sun. Great!
    I send you lots of greetings from Bavaria/Germany
    vonKarin

• syla says:

Très belle idée!
    Merci

• This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

xx gemma
    gemmachew.com

• Adina says:

Thanks for this great tutorial! I got all the instructions right away and in two days I made more than 20 m of the stuff!! Like you say, it addictive and satisfying. The only downside is that I stayed put in my chair for hours on end, got a stiff back and neck! Aaach!!! This morning I got the idea of coiling the thread around old CDs and turn them into attractive coasters… we’ll see how they come out.
    Cheers!
    xx

• Christie says:

I LOVE this — finally a simple way to use up my left-over fabric. I started tonight, while watching the Stanley Cup Finals and probably have 3 or 4 meters!! Thank you SO much!!

• Sylvia says:

Fantastic idea! You could easily sew together baskets, bags and bowls out of these. I’ve been doing this with cotton clothesline and scraps of fabric as suggested in the “It’s a Wrap” book. It’s loads of fun. This would add a wonderful texture as well. Thanks for sharing this.

• Bonnie says:

This will be great for weaving rag rugs! Thank you for posting.

• Tori W says:

I”m so excited to find your tutorial. My daughter has several long appointments with her cancer treatment and I know what I can take with me to keep my hands busy.

• Brinda says:

Thanks for this great tutorial. Such a great idea

• Fabulous idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

• I made a lamp shade with my scrappy rope!!
    I took the fabric off of a old lamp shade frame and then wrapped my coil around the frame.

• barbara says:

Thanks for this great craft tip, I have loads of scraps and didnt know what to do with them. I am making rope to use as garden twine, to tie up bean wigwams, and tie up the raspberry canes ect.

• Sarah says:

What do you wrap the fabric around?

Can someone explain how to use the drill or another spinning tool?

• WOW! I can see place mats, rugs, coasters and I always have scraps – plus I’m sure I can find odd pieces of fabric at yard sales cheap to cut up. I have a loom…and I can crochet…what a fun idea! Baskets? That might be another fun thing to try! As I said, “WOW”!

• Helen says:

Love thus- could someone please explain about using a drill for the twisting?
    TiA.

• Christy says:

Brilliant! Thank you for such a wonderful tutorial!

• Tanya says:

Love this idea! Most everyone has a hand mixer in the house…only insert one beater, attach the fabric, and turn it to the speed you’re comfortable with. I do it with yarn twisting all the time. Use it for other fiber crafts as well. Happy crafting :0)

• C.S. Weaver says:

Applause, applause! Great video, short and to the point. Well done!

• C.S. Weaver says:

Two “sittings” later, I have to say this is a lot of fun to do. Now that I’ve gone back and read a lot of the comments, several ideas I had while doing it show up as good ones: using a drop spindle and wetting the fabric first. I don’t see why you can’t use yarn scraps in the mix as well; something I plan on trying next. I love the basket and coaster ideas for using this colorful twine. Thanks again for sharing this simple craft.

• leigh says:

Love it I have gone a little crazy making this twine and things I can do with it. Check it out on my facebook page recycle crafts by leigh

• AmyCat says:

I’ll be trying this with my cord-making tool, which twists up to three separate strands at a time. Mine is made by Clover in the USA, but seems to be unavailable on their website. There are three different cord-making tools, two hand-powered and one battery-powered, on the Lacis website: http://lacis.com/catalog/ Their site won’t let me copy a link direct to the items in question, but the search term is:
    “Cord And Rope Making”.

• sewfuntosew says:

I would use a drop spindle , then ply together, easier.

• Katie says:

Love this…very meditative. I have found that if I use pieces of fabric 1/2 to 3/8 inch wide, I can fold them in half and twist them between my thumb and forefinger which cuts down the strain on my wrist. Also, I had a really skinny piece and got adventuresome…I added in a third piece and started doing this using the strands…I LOVE how it looks…not sure if I can attach a photo here for you, but I could email it…basically I twisted in a new piece the way you join at the end of a stand, although it was about 6 inches from the end. After about 3/4 inch I separated it out. I have gotten in the habit of holding the twine as if I were knitting in my left hand…through my pinky, over my index finger, around and where I’m twisting I hold it together with my left thumb and middle finger. So with three strands, I hold the three spread out as if I were braiding, except after twisting I don’t move it to the middle…I move it all the way to the front. I’m planning on using it as ribbon in Brown paper bag wrapping paper since that’s so popular right now!

• Thanks for sharing your technique. I’d love to see how your twine looks. You can probably post a link here if the image is hosted on instagram or somewhere else on the web.
      I’m sure readers would like to try the 3 strand technique.
      cheers Cinti

• Lori says:

Thanks for sharing! This is awesome and I can see my next project! A new rug. Scraps…..here I come!

• Ginnie says:

This is so great! I love using every bit of things and recycling and have been making t-shirt yarn bowls. I can see this twine making some beautiful small bowls for holding jewelry, paper clips, pins, etc. Thank you so much!

• Gun A says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! It´s so fun to make these fabric twines, can´t stop :)
    Gun, Sweden

• Lynne says:

This is the best video and tutorial I have seen on making fabric rope. I have been making really thick fabric rope but it is def not as good as yours. Lynne

• Amie'lie says:

Voici une excellente idée, many thanks

• Sally says:

I too would love to see a tutorial on how you do it with three strands.

• Susan says:

Another spinner here. I’ve never tried thigh-spinning, but it looks like it would work for this, and be easier on your hands. Like this, on page 3. ftp://ftp.uwc.ac.za/users/DMS/CITI/New%20PHd%20folder/PHd%20PDF's/spinning.pdf

• Great link Susan, thanks for sharing. I think I may try thigh spinning, but maybe with lighter weight fabrics. I’ve also been very curious about trying a drop spindle for wool spinning so am keen to read this whole article.

• Robin Taney says:

This is so pretty, but I’m wondering what happens if you try to cut it (say for wrapping a gift). Does it unravel or do you have to make sure you tie off the end again?

• Laura says:

BRILLIANT! Let me say that again, BRILLIANT! I am one of four women fiber artists that share a studio. We have loads of scraps for our various projects. I love love love your idea. Thank you so much for the video tutorial – my dyslexic mind appreciates it.

• BD says:

My grandpa had an actual wooden ‘rope maker’ that would twist strands of twine. All you had to do was turn the crank. We fought over who got to play with it. It would be so much easier on the hands. Mine has been lost (borrowed/stolen?), or I would show a picture…it makes me very sad indeed.

• Cathy says:

Great simple craft idea! I also have a stash and can’t bear to throw little pieces away.
    I used to make string quilts but haven’t wanted to do big projects for awhile.
    I am currently making yarn and fabric bracelets and think this will be a great way to design one!
    I have seen other fabric rope used as jewelry that is not as tidy or as pretty as yours!
    Thanks so much!

• Janetta says:

very pretty. I had rolled made some of this from all denium about 30 years ago. I think I ended up making rugs out of it. Thank you so much for the idea again.

• Nicole says:

Oh wow, this is so beautiful! I am late to the post, and I love reading all of the comments and suggestions. I wonder if I could make a variation on a friendship bracelet with the fabric twine after I make some? Oh, so many possibilities…

• Elisa says:

Awesome idea! Found this on pinterest as I am really interested in spinning, and i’m sure it was already suggested using a spinning wheel (a lot of tutorials on twisting fabric into yarn with a spinning wheel), but because I know how expensive a spinning wheel can be, why not use a drop spindle (I have a drop spindle with a top whorl), which can not only quickly spin these fabrics into yarn to save you time and a hand ache, but you can take it with you anywhere from the home, to the park, to a coffee shop, to even the car (i’m guilty of taking my drop spindle with me everywhere in my purse haha)! You can spin anywhere with a drop spindle! Best part? It’s super cheap (compared to a spinning wheel). I bought my spindle for only $12.

Just something to think about! Other than that, this is awesome! :)

• Shelly says:

This informative craft is priceless to me! Thank you!! I took a picture of some lawn furniture that I fell in love with a few years ago at Hobby Lobby but was Way to expensive even at half off. It was an iron rectangle base with fabric strands woven for the table tops. I took the picture with the hopes of some day trying to make “fabric rope” and so very lucky to have found your site!
    And as things sometimes go, my brother just so happened to be giving away 2 end tables and a coffee table that have glass tops that I am going to remove and then weave the fabric twine on :) So Excited!
    Thank you!!

• sheila says:

This might help your hands, we used to make friendship bracelets when I was younger with yarn by twisting it. We tied off ends to the back of a ladder back chair or attach to a wall with a cup hook stretch off a lengths of different colored yarn, and attach it to a hand held mixer beater, turn your mixer on low slowly start twisting, when making the bracelets you would twist them then grab the center length, remove both ends and bring them together, when you let go, the tied off ends wall and beater end would twist themselves together like a spring letting go. Believe it or not, they would stay that way. Tie a small knot to join bracelet.

• Nancy says:

Love the cording! We basket makers do this with all sorts of materials. It would make a lovely gift.

• Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve so much scrap fabric that I can’t bring myself to throw out but have no reason to keep! This is the perfect solution. A million times thank you!

• Sarah says:

I’m going to use my dd’s hair twisting tool (used to me mine and my sister’s from the late 90’s, lol). That ought to speed it up. Thanks for this- I just culled MORE scraps from the bin last night, so I’m happy to see new ways to use them up!

• This is so much easier using a spinning wheel. Can’t wait to get started. As if I needed more yarn….

• Heather j says:

Looks awesome…but what about when you get to the end? If it’s just twisted together, won’t it just unravel when you let go?

• Nancy Rector says:

Just found this on Dollar Store Crafts post. Absolutely love it! I’ve posted it on reddit, pinterest and all my social networks. Thanks so much!
    Nancy

• Aileen says:

Bravo
    I make a lot of scrappy rugs. These “ropes’ would be good for weaving or knitting into rugs. Not sure if it would help but tassel makers who twist cord will use a hand drill to do the twisting (which is not as nice as the finger work done with your method).

• Nat says:

This is so fun and easy!

• I have loads of scraps I can’t wait to try this. It is esp appealing on the spools. I can’t wrap my head around how to use the spindle or drill though. Thanks for sharing! Pamela

• Robin says:

Just found this on Pinterest, I work in a fabric shop and it is always great to find new ways to recycle scraps! I am addicted

• Danni says:

love the look!

• Laura Williamson says:

thanks for your tutorial. One of my favorite crafts is to make backyard boho banners. I have always used jute twine, or double-fold bias tape for the stringing cord. This would make a unique, vintage strand. It could be coordinated with the triangles in the banners. Thanks for the great tute!

• Lori Ledbetter says:

Just thought I’d say thanks for the great idea of what to do with all that left over fabric! I made placemats for our patio table. Then I sprayed with scotchgard to help protect them. They are so colorful, perfect for outside. I use Fiestaware so I made them 11 1/2 inches in diameter but you could make them any size. Thinking about making a runner for the table next.

• Hayley says:

What a cool way to make string which is unusual & using what would be scrap…..looks so beautiful! Thanks for sharing this idea with everyone. And you’re an Aussie, good to see local talent!

• Lisa says:

This is so colorful and pretty! I have a few of those old spindles that I use to set candles on for arrangements of candles of different heights. I think I’ll make some fabric twine and wind them on the spindles and add colorful candles. What a pretty centerpiece that would made on the dining table. Thank you for the video tutorial.

• I’m braiding 3 of them for a purse handle on a hooked purse