I made this little bunny puppet a couple of years ago from an old sweater. I do enjoy making things from unwanted garments, and even though this old angora sweater had seen better days, it made a great little bunny rabbit hand puppet.
Emma and I had a lovely time playing with it when she was little, and we still use if for puppet shows when we have young visitors over to play.
Even if you don’t consider yourself a sewist, this project is very easy to make and requires minimal sewing skills. If you don’t have a sewing machine, it is a small enough project to stitch by hand.
Older kids may enjoy making this bunny hand puppet as a Easter craft project.
With Easter on the way soon, why not give a gift that can be enjoyed all year around.
I’ve needle felted a little fluffy ball for a tail from wool roving. If you don’t have needle felting tools, you can make a yarn pom pom or use a pre-made craft pom pom.
Note: Pom poms can be a chocking hazard for babies and children under 3yo. Ensure all tails are securely fastened and that pom poms do not shed yarn. A firmly secured needle felted ball is a safer option. If in doubt, omit tail entirely.
You may also enjoy:
- How to make tossing Bean Bags
- Sew a softie – Gobble Monster Toy
- Stitch a Cute Lady Bug
- Needle Felted Strawberry
You will need:
- Template – download link and print to fit on A4 page
- An old light coloured woollen sweater that has been felted (fulled) in hot water so it won’t unravel when cut. (You may already have one that was accidentally machine washed or thrown in the dryer.) or Cream coloured felt sheet x2
- Pink felt scraps for the ears
- Wool roving or yarn to make pom pom tail
- Embroidery or sewing thread for nose and eyes
- Sewing supplies and sewing machine (optional)
How to make a Bunny Puppet:
1. Cut 2 body pieces aligning the ribbed edge of the sweater at the bottom to form the cuff of the puppet.
2. Cut 2 ears.
3. Machine zig zag (or hand stitch) around the edges leaving the bottom open.
4. To shape ears, bring both edges into center and hand stitch to fasten.
5. Either make a small yarn pom pom or needle felt some roving to make a fluffy tail. Hand stitch on securely.
6. Hand stitch on ears, eyes and nose where indicated on template.
All done! Enjoy
This rabbit hand puppet has a lot of personality. Pop your thumb and pinkie into it’s arms and the rest of your fingers to make the head move.