I’ve got the cutest DIY Christmas brooch design for you to make this week. This Sleepy Santa is small but super adorable, and I guarantee it will garner much attention when you wear it to your festive gatherings, end of year office parties and family Christmas lunch this year.
If you are looking for a special handmade gift idea, attach this Christmas brooch to the front of a handcrafted Christmas cards, making the brooch both a design feature and a cute present all rolled into one.
In addition to the cuteness of Santa’s sleepy face, one of the things I love about this project is it’s thriftiness.
To create this brooch I’ve essentially just used felt and fabric scraps leftover from my previous projects.
Make a cute Santa Christmas Pin from Felt Scraps
You will need:
- Santa Christmas Brooch Pattern template
- Felt scraps: red, white, skin tone (of your choice)
- 1 x small white pom pom: white
- Polar fleece scraps: white
- Thread: white, red, pink, blue, skin tone
- Hobby fill stuffing (or soft fabric scraps)
- Brooch pin (or safety pin)
- Scissors: paper, fabric
- Pencil or pen
- Sewing needle
- Keep your small pieces of leftover felt scraps and yarn scraps in a jar. Use them instead of hobby fill for small stuffing projects by chopping into small pieces to use as filling.
1. Print the template at 100%, and cut it out with paper scissors.
2. Lay the template pieces onto the scrap fabric, trace outlines, and cut out with fabric scissors.
3. Hand stitch the facial details onto the face piece, using any sewing technique. Sew the moustache to the face, between the nose and mouth. Leave the rest of the moustache loose and floppy.
4. Sew a running stitch along the edge of the face piece, and pull the thread until it curves to the shape of the base piece. Tie a knot, and trim off excess thread.
5. Sew the brooch pin to one side of the base piece.
6. Blanket stitch ¾ of the face and base edges together, ensuring the pin and facial details are facing outward. Stuff the face-base section with hobby fill. Continue to blanket stitch the face-base closed.
7. Sew a running stitch along the beard piece curve, and pull the thread until it curves with a measured edge of 4.5cm. Tie a knot, and trim off excess thread.
8. Sew the top corners of the beard to the sides of the face, in line with the eyes. Tuck the top edge of the beard under the chin.
9. Edge stitch the hat trim to the bottom of the hat piece, with right sides facing together. Curl the hat trim around the bottom of the hat piece and sew the hat trim closed.
10. Fold the hat in half and blanket stitch the triangle edges together. Sew a pom pom into the tip of the hat.
11. Place the hat onto the brooch, and blanket stitch the open sides of the hat to the back edge of the brooch.
12. Fold the hat triangle down one side of the brooch, and stitch into place.
Wonderful! You’ve made a lovely little Santa brooch. It’s the perfect addition to any festive outfit. Time to go get your jingle on!